We hope you all had a wonderful and restful Thanksgiving! We would like to give a special thanks to all of our parents who contributed towards our Thanksgiving celebration. It was a total success!
This week,our students celebrated Kai’s 4th Birthday. Happy Birthday Kai!
In the classroom, the children worked very hard at their numbers bonds and counting backwards. The children’s favorite activity this week was playing in the dramatic play area and pretending to be firefighters!
Please don’t forget to stop by our Mexico exhibit located on the 1st floor in the gym.
Have a great weekend!
Señorita Sandra, Señorita Mailliw, and Ms. Gabby
Math Spanish Class
– Learning a new shape: star.
– Practicing the number of the week 5.
– Arranging numbers 10 to 1 in decreasing order and understanding the decreasing value of every number.
-Arranging the numbers 10 to 1.
– Counting, identifying, representing, naming, and ordering a number of objects 1 to 10
– Ordering numbers 10 to 1 .
– Identifying objects and their numeral value.
– Identifying the numbers 1 -25.
– Learning basic concepts: left and right.
– Writing the numbers and practicing their pronunciation..
– Identifying the color Gray.
Math English Class
– Identifying numerals 1-25.
– Counting numbers 1-25.
– Counting numbers 1-10 backwards.
– Arranging numbers 1-10 in decreasing order (backwards).
– Applying 1:1 correspondence when counting objects.
– Identifying a star and real life objects in this form.
– Understanding the concept of left and right.
Language Arts Spanish Class
– Pronouncing vocabulary words that start with the letter ‘N’.
– Identifying and pronouncing materials used in the classroom: Lapiz/Pencil, Boligrafo/Pen, Rotulador/Marker, Lapices de colores/Colored pencils, Ceras/Crayons and Pincel/Paintbrush.
– Memorizing the different types of materials used in School.
– Writing our first name without any assisting dots, in lowercase.
– Writing the upper and lowercase letter ‘N’ and ‘n’.
– Recognizing and Pronouncing all the (photos) related to the letter of the week: Naranja, Negro, Nido, Novia, Nube.
– Memorizing and pronouncing the alphabet in Spanish.
– Practicing syllable segmentation , rhythm, and pauses when reading.
– Reviewing the vocabulary for the 5 vowels and letters M and T, practice writing those letters without assisting dots.
– Awareness of the relationship between sounds and letters.
– Describing the characters in a short story.
– Reviewing characters in the short story and answering questions about the sequence of events, specially in the story ‘El bebe de los Paponatas’.
We read the following stories this week:
– Las jirafas pueden bailar.
– El bebe de los Paponatas
– Los cinco bomberos y el lió con la I.
– Mi Papa también tuvo un hermanito.
Language Arts English Class
– Reviewing long vowel sounds A,E, I, O and U.
– Identifying ‘long O and U’ sounds in words (e.g. oval, oatmeal, yogurt, cone, bone, bow, gold, open, and goat; ukulele, unicycle, utensils, unicorn, uniform, cube and United States).
– Identifying and sorting Long O and Long U sounds in a ice-cream cone game.
– Clapping words into syllables (syllable segmentation).
– Listening to a YouTube video of the long vowel sounds
The book for this past week was:
– Sammy Spiders First Hanukkah By: Sylvia A. Rouss
Strategies and Skills
– Reading Strategy #1; Look at the pictures.
– Reading Strategy #2; Look at the pictures and at the first letter or letters.
– Reading Strategy #3 Sound it out.
– Sequencing stories (e.g., first, next, then and finally.)
– Taking a picture walk before reading a new story.
– Describing the roles of an author and illustrator.
Handwriting Without Tears
– ‘Air writing’ or ‘Sky writing’ lowercase letters.
– Writing letters and numbers on a dry-erase board.
– Forming letters and numbers with an index finger on shaving cream..
– Writing Capital ‘O and Q’
– Writing number 5
Social-Emotional Development in both classrooms
– This week we focused on feeling ‘Celos’ or Jealous towards others. We used various activities to help us understand this concept:
– Introducing the emotion and its meaning.
– Sharing stories of when we have felt jealous.
– Reading stories about feeling jealousy.
– Discussing jealousy between siblings.
– Memorizing the word in Spanish and English
Social Studies – Firefighters.
– Identifying the different sections and items at the Fire-station.
– Recognizing a Firefighters clothing and tools.
– Discussing the responsibilities of a fireman or fire-woman.
– Dramatizing a fire and following the steps needed to remain safe (e.g, using an extinguisher to put out a fire).
– Making a firefighter helmet.
– Introducing Henri Matisse and identifying his main paintings.
– Analyzing Kandisky’s painting’The parrot and the siren’ 1952.
– Identifying the different colors in the painting on white background.
– Making our very own mural.
– Sharing our thoughts on the painting.
Vocabulary of the Week
Goma de borrar: Eraser
Escribimos nuestro nombre con el Lápiz: We write our names with a pencil.
El bolígrafo mágico, sirve para hacer caras felices: We use the magic pen to draw happy faces.
¿Qué rotulador quieres?: Which colored marker would you like?
Las ceras están el la caja naranja: The crayons are in the orange basket.
Usamos la Goma para borrar cuando nos equivocamos: We use our eraser when we want to erase a mistake.